Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Back to Basics : 10 Minute Croutons

So the other day, when I was making the No Guilt Caesar Dressing, I realized I did not have any croutons in the house! Now I don't know about you, but for me, Caesar salad without fresh croutons is just sad and plain wrong.



Problem: this was 2 days before the latest category 4 typhoon was supposed to hit, which meant that the commissary was busier than what should be natural for a grocery store. I could have gone to wait in line for 45 min for some French bread, but that would have been insanity.

What to do? What to do?
Well, I had some hot dog buns stashed in the freezer... Works for me!

Simple, takes literally 10 minutes, and flavorful. Fancy? No, but when life gives you hot dog buns, make croutons!

Without further adieu, I'm keeping this post short and sweet to complement the short and savory recipe :)

10 Minute Croutons

A Butter Than Toast original

makes about 3 cups of croutons

3 hot dog buns, chopped into dice sized pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil
1.5 teaspoons black pepper
large pinch salt
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (If you don't have a premixed jar- sprinkle on some thyme, oregano, basil and parsley)

Mix all ingredients, tossing well to coat all of the bread with oil and spices. Toast in a 350° oven for 5-7 minutes, until lightly toasted. Alternatively, stir often in a skillet heated over high heat for 5 minutes.

Stash in a ziplock back in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

2 comments:

  1. I love homemade croutons more than store made. They are crunchy but not as hard as them, and so fresh!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Susy! I think the manufacturers don't so much as toast the croutons before packaging them as they probably just let them become stale during shelf life at the store!

      Delete

Leave some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs