Sunday, August 26, 2012

No Guilt Caesar Dressing & Wraps

Hi, y'all, I am back! Not by choice, of course. Vacations are never as long as you'd like them to be, right? We got back from Sydney and I went straight back into a duty day followed by 2 night shifts. I also caught a cold the last day or so of the trip, so my taste buds have been hibernating waiting for this annoying virus to go away. So, in combination with my diet of tea and orange juice for the cold and complete confusion my body is going through because of the switch back to night shift, I honestly haven't made anything beyond a turkey sandwich in the week we've been back.



Not to worry though, today we're having Chicken Caesar Wraps for dinner. Not only that... you get two recipes for the price of one today! The key to these wraps is based off of the dressing recipe made by my kitchen boyfriend, Alton Brown. I am ob-ses-sed with his show Good Eats and a little piece of me died inside when we moved to Okinawa 2 years ago and no longer had the Food Network and Cooking Channel at the touch of a button. Waaaahhhhhhhh!

Ahem, umm.. sorry about that. Anyway....

I love Caesar dressing on just about anything. It's a wonderful substitute since I don't like plain mayo. Ok- calm down people- I just don't like PLAIN mayo. Flavored mayo is fine... because I can't taste the mayo. I'm weird like that. I use Caesar dressing on turkey sandwiches, on burgers, as a seasoning for baked chicken- just about anything. The problem? It has MAYO in it. Again, not an issue once it's flavored, but even flavored it's just so fatty and not good for you!

So what does my brilliant kitchen boyfriend do? Uses silken tofu instead of mayonnaise! Genius. I would have probably just used Greek yogurt, but this was totally different so I had to try it. The other bonus to this recipe was it didn't call for chopped anchovies or anchovy paste, which triggers another weird food aversion for me.... which we won't get into at this time. I gotta spread out my crazy so I don't scare y'all off! Side note- I do realize that Worcestershire has anchovies in it, but for whatever reason it doesn't bother me.

Anyway, ignore my craziness and just enjoy the dern good food! Please note that this recipe calls for 2 raw garlic cloves- which will make the overall taste very very garlicky. If that's your thing, great. I'll either be roasting the 2 cloves for future renditions of this recipe or using just one.

No Guilt Caesar Dressing

Barely adapted from Alton Brown's version

2 ounces Parmesan, grated
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon white wine
1 teaspoon Worcestershire
Large pinch kosher salt
Large pinch freshly ground black pepper
1 cup silken soft tofu (removed from any residual package liquid)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice, to taste

In a food processor, add all ingredients except the tofu, oil and lemon juice. Pulse a few times until the garlic is integrated into the liquids. Add the tofu and process well. While the processor is running, drizzle half of the olive oil down the chute. Add more of the olive oil and blend until it reaches a thick salad dressing consistency. Add lemon juice to taste.

Dressing will keep for about 2 weeks in the fridge.



Chicken Caesar Wraps

a Butter Than Toast original

4-5 large tortillas
3 cups romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
1.5 cups cooked and cubed chicken
1/2 cup croutons
1/4 cup dressing

Combine all of the filling ingredients in a bowl, toss to combine. Spoon about 1/4 cup mixture into each tortilla, roll em up and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I love Caesar dressing as well so I can't wait to try this recipe! Quick question- did you use a whole package of of mori-nu soft tofu (12. oz) or did you only use a portion to make it 8 oz.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren, thanks for stopping by! I want to say the package I was able to get from my grocery store was a 12 ounce package, so I used a portion to make it the 8 ounces/1 cup called for. Since it's a block, you'll need to smuch it down with a fork inside the measuring cup to make sure you measure out enough. I hope this helps, and you enjoy the dressing! Happy cooking!

      Delete

Leave some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs