Saturday, September 29, 2012

"The Elvis" Sandwich

Here's the deal. I take my love of bacon seriously. If you don't like bananas or whole wheat bread, I can forgive you. If you don't like peanut butter, I will still like you, but I will look at you like you're crazy. Unless you have an allergy, then you're exempt and therefore have my eternal pity.


If you don't like bacon, get the heck out of here because we can no longer be friends. I'm sorry! It's a deal breaker for me, people. I take my love of bacon very, very seriously. It's probably the one reason why I am not a vegetarian.

Moving on... Do you know what these three ingredients have in common? Elvis!

No, I'm not crazy, nor am I hallucinating. Today is the 45th official Elvis Presley Day, as proclaimed by the Memphis Mayor on September 29, 1967. How cool is that?? I'd like to be awesome enough to have my own day, but for now we'll celebrate the King.

So, side story. You know how I sometimes mention that I hate working night shift at my job as a nurse? It's true, I end up feeling like a zombie. However, the one good perk is late night television. Not the mind-numbing infomercials and evangelical fundraising programs, but the Food Network reruns. When I was living in Virginia a few years ago, I loved having a 24 hour Harris Teeter, since I could do my grocery shopping whenever I needed. I would watch shows then go get the ingredients and make new dishes at 3 am.

Anywayyy, I can't remember the exact show, but I saw one where the host went to a diner in Memphis to check out Elvis' favorite sandwich. They talked about how Elvis' mom would make it for him as a child, and he would request it at diners when he was hankerin' for some comfort food.

So get this: The Elvis is a peanut butter, bacon and banana sandwich, buttered and toasted on a skillet like a grilled cheese. I had not ever heard of this concoction until the show, and immediately thought, "ummmm EW that doesn't sound good at all."  After that I didn't really think about it again.

Until this week. Don't ask me why, but I felt compelled to make this sandwich for you all. It was a pressing need; the proverbial pink elephant in the room. Only it was a sandwich. With bacon.
I am giving you fair warning: THIS IS NOT A HEALTHY SANDWICH. Let's review, shall we?

Bacon.     Check.     Peanut butter.     Check.
Butter.     Check.     Honey.     Check.
Bananas... not the healthiest of fruits, but it is redeemed by the fact it is indeed a fruit.

Honestly though, eating a half size version (only 1 piece of bread cut in half) would make a pretty decent recovery snack after a workout. Whole wheat with fruit and protein are a pretty awesome combination to prevent your stomach from feeling like it's going to devour your entire existence an hour after you get home.

So why the long lead up? I know, I've already given you 2 reasons NOT to make this sandwich. But you must make this sandwich, my dear friends, because this sandwich was absolutely fan-freaking-tastic. The sandwich is great by itself, but in my opinion, drizzling honey over the entire thing is what takes it over the top. It's just... so good. It goes with everything on the list, and is just the most wonderful complement.

Again, let's review.


Bacon.    Delicious.     Peanut butter.     Delicious. 
Butter.     Delicious.     Honey.     Delicious.
Bananas... Delicious.

Oh yeah, and it takes 5 minutes to make. EVEN BETTER!

The Elvis Sandwich

serves 2

4 slices bread, whole wheat if that'll make you feel better
Peanut butter (I'm a smoooooth and creamy all natural PB kinda gal)
6-8 slices bacon, cooked and drained on paper towels
1 large banana or 2 smaller ones, sliced
Butter, softened enough to be spreadable
Honey, for drizzling

Cook the bacon in a skillet, drain on paper towels and discard remaining drippings. Spread a light layer on one side of each slice of bread. Line 2 slices of bread with banana pieces. Line the other 2 with bacon. Ensure you leave a piece of bacon for you to eat while you work. Sandwich the banana lined bread together with the bacon lined bread, with the peanut butter on the inside. Spread a light layer of butter on the outsides of the bread, both sides.

Toast on a skillet heated over medium heat, until golden brown on both sides. Cut in half and drizzle with honey. Serve warm. Devour.

For your "awww" factor of the day... Otis loves bananas. He will do anything for bananas. Even placate me while I make him sit still with his favorite treat balanced perfectly on his snout. He's a very good boy and is patient, too! When I tell him to "go!" and enjoy his treat, he rolls it off his nose and catches it before it hits the floor. I swear, that boy will do anything for banana pieces!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs